Tuesday, April 17, 2012

On the mend

Well, it's been a long, drawn out saga. After 3 trips to the ER and 4 diagnoses by 4 doctors, I think I've found what has been causing my breathing issues. It was a compressed nerve in my back.

I thought it was a long shot as the source of my shortness of breath, but went to the chiropractor this morning. The results were instant and dramatic. By the time I left I was breathing normally for the first time in almost 2 weeks.

I've lost 15lb since Christmas, and my old bras just weren't cutting it any more. I did get new ones in the proper size, but the damage was already done. I've had a "pinch" in my back for a while now.

Then I had that cold that may or may not have led to pleurisy. I think the combination of compression and illness just pushed that nerve over the edge. It was hyperstimulated and causing my diaphram to spasm.

I plan to have a few more adjustments over the next few weeks to get the nerves in working order.

(If the breathing issues return, though, and further adjustments don't help, my next option is to explore anxiety as the cause.)

I still need to rest and recover, but I'm REALLY hoping I can run at least a little tomorrow. I've really missed it. And I'm determined to run the Illinois Half Marathon on the 28th and hopefully turn my unofficial PR into an official one.

No comments:

Post a Comment