Tuesday, May 24, 2016

To the woman who wanted hope, I'm so sorry

We didn't tell her what she wanted to hear. She wanted to hear that there are plenty of cases like hers, that they usually turn out great, that there's nothing to worry about, that everything will be fine. There aren't cases like hers. She would be the eighth documented case, ever, if confirmed. None of the others turned out well.

I hope her doctors are wrong. Not because I know better than them, or because they're incompetent, or because I like to be right. But because, if she truly is that ultra-rare case, it will not end well. I don't wish that on anyone.

I don't take it personally that she claims we're all random idiots making stuff up on the internet. I wouldn't want to believe us, either. I wouldn't want to know that actually, some of the most active members of the group have dedicated their lives to preeclampsia research, attend conferences along with experts in the field, write professional papers, and yes, sometimes even know more than a typical doctor, especially about the extreme rarities of the condition.

I'm sorry hearing the truth felt like a lack of support. I'm sorry our questions and concerns were interpreted as personal attacks on her and her doctors. She left in a huff and blocked us all. I hope she comes back if she needs us. Or better yet, that her doctors are wrong, or that she'll be the ultra-rare case of ultra-rare cases who has a good outcome despite it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment